We bought this because of the multi-camera function since we have twins. This is a total waste of money. We had originally ordered the Levana Babyview 20 video monitor but returned it because it doesn't have the ability to connect multiple cameras. Having tried that one out I can tell you that it is a MUCH better product! The sound is much clearer, there is no interference, set up is simple and it actually has a clear picture.
The cons of the SVAT were:
1) It is not 'color' as advertised. I never saw a bit of color on the screen.
2) There is a ton of interference even when our wireless router was turned off. Rolling lines on the screen accompanied by a clicking sound which is exceptionally obnoxious, especially at night. This happens each time it switches between cameras and each time anything comes near the handheld unit.
3) It does not have a sensor which switches it to night vision. You must switch a tiny little switch on the camera. Imagine trying to do this in the dark if you accidentally forgot to do it before puting baby down for the night.
4) The night vision doesn't work well at all. Compared to the Levana Babyview, it is horrible! The Levana could see all the way across the room and was still clear. This is hardly visible from 2 ft. away. One of the cameras (we ordered an extra one seperately) seemed better than the other.
5) The handheld unit is huge and awkward and made out of a cheap plastic which doesn't seem durable at all.
6) The cameras might be fine once they were mounted, but they are also made out of a cheap, lightweight plastic and won't stay put unless they're mounted in place.
7) The instructions are very confusing. When setting up the channels on the handheld unit, down is 'on' and up is 'off' so it took a while to even figure out how to get a picture out of both cameras.
8) In order to use the handheld unit without the ac adaptor, you have to remove the back cover and take out the batteries.
9) The battery life in the handheld unit was horrible! I think they lasted about 2 hours.
10) Before playing with the 3 channels, this totally blocked our wireless router.
The pros were:
2) Ability to add additional cameras.
All in all, I would definitely spend a little more money and get something that works.
(33 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=3.5 / 5.0
More Detail For SVAT GX5201 Wireless Portable Video Monitor with 2.5 Inch LCD Night Vision Security Camera Color
- 2.5-inch TFT-LCD screen provides crisp images
- Range up to 300 feet (ideal range 100 feet)
- Eight infrared LEDs let you see in the dark
- Alarm sounds when the adjusted noise level is reached
- Easily connects to a TV, VCR, computer or DVR for recording