I actually purchased the keypad + deadbolt unit from Lowes because they had a good special going on ($249 with 3 months of Link for free!) and had no problems getting it installed. The instructions for the physically installation were just fine, but the instructions for setting everything else up were useless. I say useless because the directions were to a URL that was something like "[...]" - which doesn't exist. The online documentation that I did find was very confusing and seemed like they were trying to use one instruction sheet for half the product line instead of having easy to read PDF files for each product. What was AWESOME were the YouTube videos. They very quickly explained what the manual failed to explain, and I was off and running.
* Documentation is awful.
* iPhone app is awesome! You can check the battery status, status of Lights, Security, and your Z-Wave enabled thermostat. You can also view the Schlage webcam if you have one (not sure about third party ones) and can set a one time use code or unlock the door.
* YouTube setup videos made up for the lousy documentation. Seriously. Schlage should just embed them in their support site because they were that helpful.
* Device is easy to use and is made even easier by the Schlage Link website.
* Deadbolt is NOT MOTORIZED!! Folks often think that it's a motorized device that will unlock the door for you. This isn't the case. A human being still has to be in front of the lock to turn the deadbolt to open it. Some think this is a negative, but I think it's actually a security feature.
* It does include some pre-programmed user codes. I removed them and added my own through the web interface.
* It includes a set of keys so you can use it to override the deadbolt.
* In order to get the Z-Wave stuff to learn about the device, you have to register everything online first. When you're getting the Z-Wave bridge to learn about the deadbolt, you actually have to hold the bridge right up next to the deadbolt. Same goes for the lighting controller.
* The lighting controller can only be used with an incandescent light source. No CFLs. Not sure about LED units, though.
* You can set it to send you a text message or email (or both) upon certain actions. We have ours set to send us a text message when the kid gets home.
* The Kid was also notorious for running out to play and leaving the house unlocked because he didn't want to bring his key. This is no longer an issue because all he has to do is press a button and turn a knob to lock the door. No key for him to worry about, and no key for him to lose. (Sneaky kids will probably learn that the alerts aren't sent if the door is unlocked. I'd like to see Schlage add an option to alert us if the door is left unlocked for a certain amount of time.)
Overall, we have been very happy with the purchase. Aside from the initial setup woes, we've had no problems with it whatsoever.
(7 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=3.0 / 5.0
More Detail For Schlage LiNK Wireless Keypad Entry Lever Lock Starter Kit System Satin Nickel
- Receive email or text notifications
- Install and set up the system with ease
- Remotely monitor access to your home
- Access your home from anywhere
- Monthly subscription fee required for remote access